• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Bee Pollen

Jamshyd

Bluelight Crew
I noticed a lot of people on here take this as a supplement... today I got a small bag of unpasteurized bee pollen. I had a tiny taste (1/3 teaspoon) just to test for allergic reactions - nothing, and it tastes nommy.

Just wanted to see how people here use it (ie, how much do you take? How does it help you?)...

Also, wondering about storage...

I didn't get the advertised result "immunity from pollen-related seasonal allergies", but it is chock full of B12, so that's cool. And ya, it does taste kinda like food, so that's good.

if you want to try something delicious get a spoon of honey and sprinkle on some bee pollen and nom down.

I agree that it's delicious. Tastes like flowers. :)

I add a heaping spoonful (I don't measure, just dump a ton in) to my smoothie, at least one dose per day. I got into it because I was having some sort of adrenal fatigue issues from years of abusing caffeine. It's one of the few supplements that I've felt a noticeable energy boost from.

I love Bee Pollen. LOVE. I used to get my bee pollen from an organic bee farm 2 hours away from the metropolis...but they have since stopped producing it because the bees have dwindled :( Its sad. Can't find it anywhere else.
Looked like this:
DSC00204_1.JPG

When I went to Hongkong last year, I was able to get a huge jar of Bee Pollen from New Zealand. Pretty good stuff. I worry when it runs out, what I'm going to do. I store my bee pollen inside a box, inside my drawer.

I take 1 to 1/2 very small teaspoons every other morning, two if I'm extra sleepy or lethargic. That and coffee gives me a lot of energy throughout the day.

I LOVE YOU BEE POLLEN!!

Oh, and like me granulated lecithin, I love the taste and eat it alone, savouring the taste.

you can order big jug from vitacost thats where we get it. Its not local thus any allergy-immunization reactions will be null but its still a healthy plant protein/carb with vitamins. And it tastes AWESOME!!!!!!!

so this would be some pretty good stuff for a post-workout shake? Does anyone know the nutritional values?

It probably depends on the supplement and how quality it is. But I do know it's supposed to contain a high level of certain B vitamins (haha, fitting). Makes sense because I always got a similar energy boost from taking B vitamin supplements.

so this would be some pretty good stuff for a post-workout shake? Does anyone know the nutritional values?

its no significant source of aminos or glucose what you need after workout.

its a better pre-workout supplement. I take a couple spoons of honey with it sprinkled on right out the door to the gym along with a banana. Quick energy for lifting. Then after lifting its chocolate milk (organic) and egg whites for me until I get another pro/carb (low-fat) meal in. Then its back to pro/fat/carb meals like regular.

I was thinking about mixing it with some type of protein powder, because I'd like to make a protein shake that's not full of artificial colorings and sweeteners. Maybe I should make a thread about this.

I have a question for the wise (little OT): I have been doing carb cycling for a few weeks in which I would eat 45 gr. p / 30 gr. c / 10 gr. f On low carb and 35 p / 60 c / 10 f on high carb... Since my bf was getting pretty low I'm taking regular meals again in which I still count protein/fats but not so much carbs (you could call it eyeballing :) ).. Right now my last one or two meals in the day will contain lots of fat (sat and unsat) and protein but no carbs.. The rest of the day my meals are really low in fat. Is this a good way of eating, or do you need to eat fats all day long?

you dont need fats all day long. I prefer fats in every meal but I have never had a problem with bodyfat.

How many meals do you eat at that macro split?

The best bet is to see how you're doing over the course of a few months. You losing fat but maintaining strength then keep it up (1lb fat/week).

if u add some androgens you can probably gain strength while losing fat but that may not be for you.

I <3 bee pollen so much. Get yer bee vitamins.

I definitely feel a boost in my digestive system when i eat it. It's a good thing to eat a few minutes before a meal, to get the juices going. Also, excellent in smoothies. I recommend it.

I've also heard from several people that eating a spoonful or two a day has gotten rid of their pollen allergies. I've never had pollen allergies, so i don't really know for myself. But I do notice sometimes I sneeze a little when I eat it.

Anyway. Bee Pollen! So delicious! So bee-y!

^ ewww you drink directly from the bottle!?!? What kind of a person would swig olive oil from the bottle!?!?!?

;)

same kind of person that drinks milk from the carton lol
I love bee pollen, I eat honey a lot also and normally have it with plain yogurt or orange pices dipped in them. great stuff

if you were wondering about storage we keep ours in the fridge. If need be I think it could be stored at RT but its probably ideally kept cool/dark.

Mm: thanks for your reply. I also like to eat fats all day but sometimes its hard to find good meals with fat. I eat 60 grams a day regardless of how many fat meals I eat, so I guess that's good. I tried androgens once (in a pretty uninformed way I regret to say) and find that the sides are not worth it (for me). I work out primarily to keep the mind fit nowadays, I am interested in making the most out of it without androgens though.

I buy pollen produced locally (as opposed to sending away for it) because it diminishes my allergies. Because I have allergies, the bee keeper suggested I start with about a dozen grains and increase that amount gradually, and I have moved up to a tablespoon a day in my morning smoothie (YUM). I have found that my allergies have diminished.
Also, since I eat a *mostly* vegan diet, with the obvious exception of bee products, I appreciate the vitamin B it provides.
The beekeeper also suggested that I keep it in the refrigerator.